Trump Presidency and Nigeria Conference
The Centre for Democracy and Development (CDD-West Africa), in collaboration with the Open Society Initiative for West Africa (OSIWA), Trust Africa, Amplified Radio, DePaul University and American University (AU), will be convening an international conference themed: The Trump Presidency and Nigeria, on Tuesday 17th of January 2017 between 9am and 5pm (Nigerian Time) to examine the implication of Trump’s ascendancy on Nigeria’s development agenda, the complex security challenges the country faces, the growth of democracy in the country and the sub-region, the fate and welfare of Nigerians abroad, and her international relations, in general. The Conference has become very important given serious concerns that the electoral victory of Donald Trump in the November 9, 2016 presidential election has raised amongst Americans and, even, the international community. Apparently, apart from the European Union emergency meeting on what Trump’s victory means for an increasingly shaky trans-Atlantic alliance, there have been debates about the likely implication of the Trump government’s policy towards Africa and its implication on the world order.
The conference will offer renowned scholars, political analysts and development practitioners a rare opportunity to interrogate: a) Democracy in the 21st Century, b) US-Nigeria Relations in Perspective, c) Economic, Ideological and Political Changes behind the Rise of Trump, and d) The Global War on Terror: Paradigm Shift? You can watch the event live or listen to the conversation on https://join.me/trump_presidency and http://www.amplifiedradio.net/ respectively.
- Dr. Kole Shettima, Chair, CDD-IGC and Africa Director, MacArthur Foundation, Nigeria.
- Prof. Bayo Olukoshi, Regional Director, International IDEA.
- Prof. Clement Adibe, DePaul University, USA.
- Prof. Sam Egwu, University of Jos, Nigeria
- Prof. Biodun Alao, King’s College, London
- Prof. Jibrin Ibrahim, Senior Fellow, CDD, Nigeria
- Prof. Ebere Onwudiwe, Distinguished Fellow, CDD and Emeritus Professor, Ohio State University, USA.
- Prof. Paul Lubeck, Distinguished Fellow, CDD and Emeritus Professor, SIAS, John Hopskin University, USA.
- Prof. Hassan Saliu, University of Ilorin, Nigeria.
- Dr. Irene Pogoson, University of Ibadan, Nigeria.
- Dr. Abdu Hussaini, Country Director, Plan International, Nigeria.
- Dr. Jideofor Adibe, Associate Professor, Nassarawa State University, Nigeria.
- Mr Jude Ilo, Country Director, OSIWA, Nigeria.
- Mr Innocent Chukwuma, Ford Foundation, Nigeria.
- Ms Ayisha Osori, Nigeria.
- Mrs Mausi Segun, Senior Researcher, Human Rights Watch, Nigeria.
And many more…